2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 cup chopped tomato
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (1 lb) eggplant, peeled and chopped
4 cups water
1 cup dried lentils
2 teaspoons salt
2 bay leaves
2 cups chopped zucchini
4 1⁄2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garam masala; stir/saute 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in tomato, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and eggplant; stir/saute 7 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Add water, lentils, salt, and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Serve over rice.
Inspired by: http://www.food.com/recipe/lentils-with-eggplant-and-garam-masala-139593